History of Stembridge and Paradise Mills

                

Stembridge Mill was built in 1822 was part of Eastfield, enclosed in 1792, and incorporated from the tower mill known as Ham Mill which stood nearby. The thatched gable-shaped cap is now unique in England, although many windmills once had thatched caps.

John Sherrin was a miller at Stembridge in 1823 and in 1824 he inherited the mill and cottage from his father-in-law. His 3 sons, John, Robert and Henry inherited the property on his death. Robert is recorded as miller in 1861 and 1866. He was probably succeeded by Simon Spearing in 1869, and in 1879-81 Joseph Loader was working the mill, but the length of his occupation is uncertain. George Parker was renting the property in 1889 when there is the first reference to steam power being used. Frank Parker succeeded his father in 1897 but moved away a year later and the next occupant was Richard Mead. It was during the Mead's occupancy that the bakehouse was last used by James Duddridge. By 1906 Robert Hook had bought the property but sold it to Dr Hugh Hale Leigh Bellot by 1910. The last miller's name has been given as F G Harding and as Mr Hil, and both may have been millers during the last years of working by steam. The mill passed to Dr Bellot's son, Hugh Hale Bellot in 1928, and in 1969 the property was bequeathed to the Nationl Trust. The mill house which stands nearby has  Simon Spearing 12th November 1869    F Parker   G Parker   scratched on a ground floor window pane. The mill also carries the names of former millers and workmen, amongst them F W Lavis, wheelwright of Long Street, Ernest Fisher, thatcher of Pitney Hill; and J Spearing with the date 1898 written in red oxide on the stone floor beam.

       

Paradise Mill

           

2014  Estate Agent's sale details

   

                                                                                                         

Stembridge and Paradise Mills and bakers (information from Kelly’s Directory)

1861    Robert Sherrin miller at Stembridge Mill (wind)

            James Petty baker in High Ham

1868    Robert Sherrin miller at Stembridge Mill (wind)

            James Petty baker at High Ham

            George Cozens baker at High Ham

1872    Simon Spearing miller at Stembridge Mill (wind)

             James Petty baker at High Ham

1875    Simon Spearing miller at Stembridge Mill (wind)

             James Petty baker at High Ham

             Jane Hill miller at Paradise Mill (water)

1883    Simon Spearing miller at Paradise Mill (water)

1889    George Parker miller at Stembridge Mill (wind and steam)

            Walter Fido baker at High Ham

            Simon Spearing miller at Paradise Mill (water)

1894   George Parker miller at Stembridge Mill (wind and steam)

           Flower baker at High Ham

           Frederick William Pudd baker at High Ham

           Simon Spearing miller at Paradise Mill (water)

1897   Frank Parker miller at Stembridge Mill (wind and steam)

           Mrs Mary Gould baker at High Ham

           Edward Laslett baker at High Ham

           Simon Spearing miller at Paradise Mill (water)

1902    Robert Uttermere Mead miller at Stembridge Mill (wind and steam)

            Mrs Mary Gould baker at High Ham

            John Russel Bird baker at High Ham

            Simon Spearing miller at Paradise Mill (water)

1906    Robert Hook miller at Stembridge Mill (wind and steam)

            Mrs Mary Gould baker at High Ham

            John Russel Bird baker at High Ham *

            Simon Spearing miller at Paradise Mill (water)

1910    Robert Hook miller at Stembridge Mill (wind and steam)

            Mrs Mary Gould baker at High Ham

            Edward Francis Trevor baker at High Ham

            Ethelbert Spearing miller at Paradise Mill (water)

1914    Mrs Mary Gould baker at High Ham

1919     unknown

1923     unknown

1927     Charles Lockyer baker at High Ham

1931     Charles Lockyer baker at High Ham

1935     Charles Lockyer baker at High Ham

     

 *  This photo of the shop run by JCR Bird was purchased from a dealer on ebay. It is of a shop in High Street, High Ham, probably demolished to make way for St. Andrews Close. The shop is listed in Kellys Directory as being a bakers and grocers and seems to have been there between 1902-6. Bird is listed on the census. 

Photos -  High Ham Parish Community Project